Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Reaction To Richards Hire

We received this letter from a fan named Stephani who gave us permission to post it in this space.  She also sent it to GM Scott Howson and PR Director Todd Sharrock:

On December 26, 2006, I fell in love with hockey. I went to my first game with my family and we defeated Boston in overtime. After that game, I became a loyal fan, started skating and now play recreational hockey in the Chiller leagues. I have loved the CBJ unconditionally as I have grown as a player and fan. I participated in the Nashville trip in November and had a blast representing our fans, still hopeful for a comeback and future. But now I feel like I'm becoming a fan looking for a new team which is a really hard thing to say in my six short years.

I am sure Richards is a great and nice man, but is there honestly no one on the market to become our head coach? Or is it that no one is willing to join a franchise with such a poor reputation? This announcement makes me really sad even after the worst season is finally over. We have some amazing former players (and coach) that are on teams in the playoffs which make me so happy for them, but so sad that we couldn't do anything when they were here. And we're about to lose another who will likely go on to another team, prosper and win a Cup as he was meant to do. The players remaining are wonderful as well and deserve so much more than the cards they are being dealt.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know where the culture of this team begins and since nothing has changed, I guess my excitement for the franchise will just continue to deteriorate. I have unsubscribed from your CBJ Newsletter because I cannot take anymore announcements that show no signs of progress for my team. 

Sincerely,

Stephani - A really bummed fan.

P.S. On January 28, 2013 the All-Star game will be but a distant memory (with the exception of all the revenue businesses will be smiling about), but if nothing changes for our team, our city will go back to being a joke in the NHL and no one will care how great of a visit they may have had in our awesome hockey town. I hope you remember that as you continue to drive focus on something that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of problems that this franchise faces...especially if we do not even have an All-Star to send to the game.

Thanks for sharing Stephani.

For A New Start (F.A.N.S.)